Monday, March 17, 2008

Going for it

Well, I've signed up for an agility trial on April 6th. I'm a bit nervous about it. I used to show in obedience, and you can really prepare for that, because you know just what will be required of you. And to start with, your dog is on leash. In trail class, I didn't know what the course would be like, but I at least had reins to control the horse. Doesn't work that way in agility. The dog is off leash the entire time.

Bravo does pretty well in our usual indoor class, but I can't forget the times I took him to outdoor class. We were inside a hockey enclosure, with the opening gated off. He still left me in the middle of a run to go see who was along the sides. He even made it out of the gate once. I can just see that happening at the trial.

Ah well, this is a sport for fun. I just have to rein in that competitiveness and the idea that we have to be perfect. And just go for it...