Saturday, April 5, 2008

Can a salesman be too good?

Today Russ and I went shopping for a recliner. We walked into the store and ambled back to the back corner where all the recliners are, and I stopped to sit in one very large, very comfortable recliner that was more than we really wanted to spend. At that point a salesman arrived. We told him we were looking for a recliner, and gave him our price range. And I mentioned that it the seat shouldn't be too deep, since I'm not very tall. He took us back to the recliner area and pointed to one in particular.

I sat down in it and it fit perfectly. Right seat depth, perfect back support. Back support was terrific in all positions from upright to fully reclined. It fit Russ, too. A LaZBoy, so decent quality. The price was exactly what we had said. The only thing that might have been better would be slightly cushier arms.

Well, we sat in two other chairs and went back and bought the first one. Afterwards, though, I felt a little let down. I usually like to shop around, try a lot (even if only in one store), and finally be satisfied that my purchase was the best one. This time, the shopping was more Russ' style - find one that suits and just buy it. I can't help feeling a little cheated.

I have to keep reminding myself - it's a really nice chair.