Saturday, May 3, 2008

Hurrah for weekends

It's a beautiful sunny day today. I appreciate that so much more since I expected clouds and rain - at least, that was the forecast. It is quite windy, however, and a touch cold.

I went out to the barn this morning. What a mess out there! There must be at least 3 inches of mud most places between the barn and the pasture. I was thankful that I did not come home covered in it from head to foot - it would have been very easy to slip while leading Lark in and out. And it was so windy from the pasture side that I took him all the way around to the front, rather than trying to leave the back doors open. Luckily, he still had his blanket on, so most of his body was clean - just his legs were totally muddy. However, it's supposed to be in the 60s most of the week, so I took the blanket off. I expect we will want to bathe him soon anyway.

I took him into the arena (and the door was blown out of my hand) and started to lunge him. Then I realized - I had the whole arena to myself. So I took off the lunge rope and free lunged him. It was so much fun! First he rolled. Then he took off running. He made S shapes, kind of - started off in one corner, raced around the end, across the middle to the other corner, then reversed. Then I finally got him to make circles. It was pretty easy when he was going clockwise, but going counter-clockwise he kept wanting to reverse. I finally convinced him I wouldn't allow that.

Right now, I'm washing his blanket. Then I need to take Bravo out. And this evening I plan to go to the Skating Show at BIG. I can't believe that is finally possible - most years I am not available the weekend they have it. Tomorrow there's the May Day parade. And I could go to World Agility Team Trials either today or tomorrow. But I don't think I will make that one - can't do it all!

Here's another picture from the Boulder trip. This was at an open-space park at the north end of Boulder. Click on it to see it bigger - otherwise it's hard to see the paragliders.

Here's a close-up of one of the paragliders.