Thursday, August 21, 2008

Olympics and other games

I've been sucked into watching a LOT of Olympics. Again. Every time - both summer and winter - I think there isn't going to be much I want to watch. And every time, I end up spending hours watching stuff like track. Of course, I admit I do fast forward through quite a bit (what's Tivo for, after all?). And sometimes I have it on in the family room while I read my email, etc. in the kitchen. But I also watch more of it than I thought I would.

I do wish prime time would show just a little more variety. I'd rather watch highlights of the shooting, or just a couple of minutes of the open water swim, or the kayaking, than endless preliminaries of track events. I saw just a glimpse of the archery early on, and thought that was quite interesting. I do realize there's a lot more than prime time. I've recorded a lot of the Oxygen shows (largely equestrian and gymnastics so far) and I have watched a little of the online coverage (mostly dressage and a little fencing). But even though the commentary often annoys me, without any commentary at all, you have to know a lot about the sport to enjoy the online coverage.

Anyway, yesterday I let the Tivo run and went out with Bravo. After we picked up library books, we went to a park and wandered through. Past the playground (lots of kids calling "doggie", but no petting), past the tiny kids in huge helmets at football practice, up to the frisbee golf field. Decided that was too dangerous to walk through, so we turned around.

Then we paused on a hill overlooking several courts for a sport I did not recognize. Long narrow dirt courts - 6 of them. Several had games going on. They threw a little white ball out in the middle, and then seemed to be trying to get close to it with larger colored balls. Is this bocce? I had no idea, but we watched for a while. Bravo was interested, looking very regal with his ears up and following the movements.

But what really interested him was the tennis court. Two men were playing. And they had left dozens of balls all over their court. (I don't think Bravo noticed the bucket of balls at the back.) At first he continued walking, but every time the closest guy hit the ball, he'd turn and start toward it. Finally he stopped and just stared. He stayed that way for several minutes. I guess he thought the fence MIGHT dissolve so he could go get those balls. Or one of them might somehow get past the fence. It COULD happen. Finally, I asked him if he was ready to go, and he immediately turned and came away. I could just see him shaking his head and thinking "what a waste". I mean, he's not a REAL tennis ball nut. (Our first dog Jenny was, and he's NOTHING like that. She would chase tennis balls until she dropped from heat exhaustion. Literally. He reserves that sort of intensity for squirrels.) But he LOVES to hold them in his mouth. (And chomp on them. Or tear the covers off.) Two balls in the mouth are even better. He's tried for three, but that goal still eludes him. And there were ALL those beautiful, bright green, quite new tennis balls. Just sitting there! And no one had put a mouth on them to feel that luscious give of a fresh springy ball in strong jaws. You could see, he thought human games were weird.

Here's another gull picture. I like the reflection in the wet sand.