Monday, November 3, 2008

Clinton and McCain

So much of my mail these days consists of campaign flyers. I usually flip through on the way from the mailbox to the house, and immediately toss them all in the recycling bin. Today, though, it was dark by the time I got home (grumble, grouse), so I had to bring them inside. And one caught my eye.

It was a tribute to Hillary Clinton, with a picture of her and John McCain on the front, and a statement about how she had cracked the glass ceiling. Inside, the photo was of McCain and Palin, with text linking her views to McCain's and promising that HE would make sure "Hillary's efforts are not forgotten". And on the back, a quote from Joe Biden, saying that Hillary "might have been a better pick than me" for VP.

So let me get this straight: I am supposed to think that McCain is more like Clinton than he is like, say Bush, right? And that since he picked a woman as his running mate while Obama passed over Clinton, he cares more for women's issues? So obviously, if I supported Clinton, then the logical person to vote for is McCain.

Yeah, right. We all know that the main reason he picked Palin was because he thought it would get the Clinton vote. Palin, with her right-wing, conservative Christian, pro-gun, anti-choice views, her pride in "being a maverick" and her inexperience in any political arena with a population larger than 700,000, is not anywhere close to Clinton by any measure. Being female is about all they have in common, and I am insulted that McCain and the Republicans believe I should consider that sufficient.