Saturday, January 4, 2014

Book of Awesome

Today I'm excited about a new book I got with a Christmas Gift Card. It's the Book of Awesome.
 \
From the  Amazon description:

Sometimes it's easy to forget the things that make us smile. Sometimes it's tempting to feel the world is falling apart. But awesome things are all around us:
  • Popping bubble wrap
  • The smell of rain on a hot sidewalk
  • The other side of the pillow
  • Hitting a bunch of green lights in a row
  • Waking up and realizing it's Saturday
  • Fixing electronics by smacking them



I think this fits in well with what I guess you could call a New Year's Resolution - to enjoy "little indulgences". I've tended to reward myself with food. Since I'm working on a healthier relationship with food, I needed to come up with a list of other rewards. I decided to call them Little Indulgences. Just the other day, I started making a list in Evernote (another thing I love,  by the way, but that's a different topic). I figure maybe this book will help me add to the list. Or else revive my gratitude project...


My list so far:
  1. quiet time to read
  2. nature walk
  3. photo walk
  4. have tea at a tea room (avoid the pastries)
  5. have a massage
  6. have a pedicure
  7. stretching routine
  8. buy myself flowers
  9. find a nice place to watch the sunset/sunrise
  10. enjoy candlelight
  11. a little quiet time to write
  12. meditation
  13. bubble bath
I'm not positive these will all work for me. For instance, I'm not sure I'll ever be good at meditation. But it's something to try.