Friday, October 26, 2007

Hunter's Moon

Last night the full moon rose before sunset, and it was still fairly high when I walked before sunrise this morning. The photo is actually from August - it wasn't light enough this morning until the end of my walk.

I really dread the next 3 months when I have to walk in the dark on at least one of my walks - either before work or after. And for a while, probably both. By the time we go off daylight savings next weekend, it will be getting dark on my drive home. Right now I really dislike living so far north. Today our sunrise is at 7:43 and sunset at 6:11. In Washington, DC, sunrise is at 7:29 and sunset at 6:15. In Miami, it's 7:26 and 6:44. So DC has about 18 minutes more sunlight, and Miami has about 50. Even the 18 is enough to be noticeable. And it's not even solstice yet. Guess I'd never make it in the arctic, huh? We do have a little advantage in the summer, when it stays light noticeably later.

Have a great weekend, and enjoy what light you have!

Fortune cookie of the day:
Don't let the past and useless details choke your existence.