Thursday, November 8, 2007

Fortune cookie

I'm starting out with the Fortune Cookie of the Day today.


You will be happiest if you please yourself first.


I think anyone who knows me will know that I do not agree with this sentiment. This is too close to Ayn Rand's philosophy, which I so disliked when I read Atlas Shrugged in college - that the pursuit of one's own happiness and self-interest is one's "highest moral purpose." Well, she grew up in Russia in a middle-class family during the Bolshevik revolution, and I grew up in America in a liberal family during the hippie era. We're not likely to agree on much.

So I am going to try to keep in mind a small goal - to make someone happy. Not necessarily in a big way. Getting someone to smile, or giving someone a compliment - just small things. But at least one someone, every day. Personally, I think if I can do that, I'll be happy.

Have a great day!