Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Wicked good

I've been in Chicago the last couple of days - dropped Karis off at Beloit on Sunday and drove on to join Russ at his conference - just flew back this afternoon. I found out I have not recuperated as much as I thought - or else the cold I seem to be getting is the problem - I tired really easily. However, I did do a small amount of shopping and went to the observation deck of the Hancock building. 94 stories up, and a wonderful view of the lakefront on a beautiful sunny day. I also went along with Russ to a couple of his receptions on Monday night.

Last night, Russ had a reception at one hotel and then a fancy dress dinner and dance at a different hotel - for which he wears a tux. I went to the first reception (and saw an old friend from Colorado, which made me very happy). But I'm not much for formal wear, makeup, skirts, heels or dinners with a lot of people I don't know. So I skipped that one and went to see Wicked. It's been a while since I saw a play, and I've never gone to one by myself. As I mentioned, I'm not big on formal clothes, so I am aware this is a little ironic - I was shocked at how many people wore jeans. I suppose that's silly...

The musical was SO good - I'm really glad I went. I didn't know the story before-hand, so that was a nice surprise. I thought it was great to get the "other side of the story." The acting was marvelous, sets and costumes were beautiful, and the inside of the theatre was just amazing.


On a totally different topic, though still involving broomsticks, witches and wizards, there was an article in yesterday's USA Today about Quidditch at American colleges. So Karis, there's a sport you can start at Beloit. Apparently there are only 7 colleges where it is currently played. (One of them is Oberlin - coincidentally, that is the college in Ohio that I was trying to remember when we talked the other day. Snagglepuss.)



In lieu of the Fortune cookie of the day, my favorite quote from Wicked (though of course Elphaba was being ironic, and I am not):
There's no place like home.