Saturday, September 20, 2008

Elect Obama -- I need a break

I started this post a while ago, and decided to hold it until shortly before the election. So here you go:

I was having a small political exchange with a friend, and she came up with the slogan that furnishes this post title. It perfectly expresses how I feel after so many years of "43" in the White House. We need a break from the war in Iraq. We need a break from the handouts, favors and tax breaks for big business. But most of all, we need a break from the endless attacks on our freedoms and rights - the right to choose, the rights of gays, the right to privacy, etc. We need someone in the White House who does not believe that torture is a valid interrogation technique, or that 9/11 justifies random intrusions into our privacy. And we need someone who will appoint Supreme Court Justices who will uphold those rights far beyond a White House term or two.

I also find it interesting that Senator Obama, in the prime of life, chose a running mate who has knowledge and experience, while Senator McCain, a cancer patient past retirement age, chose someone who is basically window dressing. The idea of Sarah Palin a heartbeat away from the White House scares me senseless. And the idea that some women see this as a reason to vote for the Republican ticket horrifies me.

Some of the best articles I have seen on this election are on the website of Elizabeth George, one of my favorite authors. She has written a series on various topics that are well-thought-out and thoroughly researched. I read the first few some time ago, and just read her article on being Pro-Life, which was excellent. (A definition of Pro-Life that I can support, as opposed to those people who call themselves Pro-Life, but are actually Anti-Choice.) I look forward to reading the rest of them. She is far more eloquent than I could ever be - I think you will enjoy the articles, and would be glad to hear your comments on them.