Wednesday, September 10, 2008

We interrupt this blog for a political message

Yes, I voted in the primary yesterday. I can't say that I am truly excited about Al Franken, and I'm not exactly sure why not. So I guess I need to learn more about his stance on issues.

In the meantime, however, I have to plug my district's terrific candidate for the House, Ashwin Madia. Yes, he's a lawyer, a Marine, and a former Republican. BUT he saw the light on the party issue, and while in the military, he successfully defended a homosexual man against discrimination. He has served in Iraq. He's a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. He's pro-choice and supports full GLBT rights including marriage. His top issues:
  • End the Iraq war responsibly
  • Create and implement solutions to global warming
  • Balance the budget
  • Expand access to health care
  • Renew federal commitment to education
  • Safeguard our fundamental freedoms
That might not be the order I'd put them in, but I can't argue with those goals. I'm looking forward to voting for him in November, and I'm really hoping we can move this district back to the Blue side.

You may not be able to vote for him in the general election, but you can vote for him now:

J-Street PAC is having an online contest. People can visit a website and vote for their favorite house challenger. The candidate who receives the most votes will receive a check for FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS. Please click this link and vote for Ash. Then send the link to some of your friends and ask them to vote for Ash.