Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Bush blues

I don't have a photo for today's post, but you can just picture it: a black limo, flags flying, surrounded by other black vehicles, driving down an empty freeway with miles of cars backed up on either side and along all the nearby streets. Yep, our dear president (I don't think I'll give him the capital P today) was in town. And to cause maximum disruption, he was here during evening rush hour. And he went to a fund-raiser in Eden Prairie. Russ was fortunate enough to cross 494 while the police cars were just waiting at either side of the bridge. 45 minutes later, at 5:30, I left the office. I believe I timed it at the worst possible time - just about when they opened the highway again, so the maximum number of cars had been pushed off 494 onto the side streets. And of course, the first street north runs right by my office. As I left, I noticed that the traffic was backed up past my office in both directions. It was pretty slow, but not horrible, until I reached the light just before the 494 bridge. It's been really bad there during the intersection construction, so I chose to turn right onto 78th. Big mistake! West Bush Lake Road was backed up not only across the bridge, but past Gleason (so about 3-4 blocks on 78th). It took me 40 minutes to get home, instead of 7 on a good day.

Jason said Bush was supposed to leave about 7:30, when I usually get on 494 to go to dog class. I'm going to assume he was on time, and thank Karis for delaying my departure - I left at 7:45 and the traffic was fine, bar the usual backup around Penn. And class had not yet started when I got there.

Dog class was on weaves. Bravo was pretty good, but there were 2 teachers and they had 2 different approaches. Bravo's problem is that he looks up - see photo - when he should look down. Teacher B wanted me to throw food for him to get him looking down. In a previous class, Teacher A had decided I should be very careful with the food-on-the-floor approach because he remembers very well, and would tend to always look for it. So I guess I might try that a time or two, but back off quickly.

Now I'm really tired, hot and sweaty, so I'm heading for bed.

Karis, sorry you had problems, but I'm glad I was here to help. Hope your new phone arrives on Friday.

Fortune cookie of the day:
In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.