Thursday, August 23, 2007

End of Summer

It was foggy this morning when I left for my walk, so I remembered my own advice and took the camera (turns out my camera bag has a waist strap which makes me look dorky, but is effective for going on a walk). I took several pictures in the beach area (here), but this one just felt like the end of summer. In a perfect world, they'd keep the beach open until after Labor Day, but I suppose most of their lifeguards go back to college in the next week or so. Anyway, it made me a little sad...

Yesterday, I exchanged emails with my roommate from my first year at UVA. She is now an executive with IBM. She lived in Vermont for many years, where she married her partner. However, now she has to live in New York, which doesn't recognize same-sex marriage. I cannot imagine what that must be like, to go from a place where you had the same rights as everyone else, to a place where you don't. As we've said before, the country should really be in the business of authorizing civil unions, which should apply to any two people who are over the age of consent, and let religion handle "marriages" if they so choose. I do believe that in another generation or two, same-sex marriage will be more widely available, but that is much longer than anyone should have to wait. I guess in a way she has the last laugh - she says their taxes are much lower now that they are not filing as "married".

Fortune cookie of the day:
All progress occurs because people dare to be different.