Thursday, August 30, 2007

I am an American Girl

I read today that there is a new American Girl doll. Her name is Julie and she is 9 years old in 1974 (so just barely older than I was). Ok, so there aren't a lot of other similarities - she lives in San Francisco, her parents are divorced, and she's into sports (apparently she tries to get on the boys basketball team due to Title IX. And she's blond. But still... I know, I'm such a kid - but I might have to read the books.

I wasn't feeling well this morning, so I called in sick. I spent the morning watching (and napping through small sections of) the second DVD of Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth version, of course). I felt better late in the afternoon, so I picked up the debris in the yard from the branches we had stacked there for over 2 weeks - the city finally got to our neighborhood to pick up the branches yesterday.

After that, I decided to go visit Lark. The drive took me less than 40 minutes. No one was around. Most of the mares were in, but all the geldings were out. Which was good, since I wanted to see how Lark was doing in the pasture. He was being his typical nerd self, just grazing by himself out in the pasture while the more aggressive horses came up towards the gate to see who would come in first. He likes to stay out of that stuff. Once the other horses figured out I wasn't there to bring them in, they went out for grass, too - so Lark went farther out (he's the one on the right, of course). But the pinto horse in the photo followed him, and then some of the others came over and hung out nearby. You can see the progression in my other pictures. So generally, I think he is doing fine. He's not in the same pasture as MC and Winston, though. I think he's out with Tuffy. I decided not to disturb the horses by going into the pasture, but I left an apple in a bag on his stall door.