Saturday, September 1, 2007

Just sittin' and thinkin'

I don't know what it is with me and porches. I've only once lived in a house with a porch - back on JPA in Charlottesville, for about 2 years. And I don't recall that we sat on it much. I certainly don't spend much time sitting outside now, either on our front stoop or our back deck. People who do have porches don't seem to use them that much - at least, I rarely see anyone sitting on one. Yet somehow, I feel that a house ought to have a porch. This evening, we went for a walk on the east side of Lark Harriet, and I looked for all the houses with porches. As my children will attest, it's usually my first comment about a house - "nice house, but it needs a porch", or "oh, I love that house with the porch".

This is one I pass almost every day when I walk Bravo. It is everything a porch should be, down to perfect use of color. Every time I see it, I want to go plop down on those gorgeous red cushions with a book and a glass of iced tea. The only thing I think I might add is a swing.

Today we worked a little on the basement - neatening the TV room and clearing out the hall. Then we will tackle the "computer room" in preparation for the workers who are coming in a couple of weeks. They are going to put in glass block windows and new window wells, and we hope that will solve the problem of water in the basement. But in the process, there will be lots of dust.

I watched Kinky Boots on DVD tonight. It's a fun little movie about a man who inherits a shoe factory in financial difficulties and finds a new niche market - boots for drag queens. Chiwetel Ejiofor plays Lola, who designs the boots. My favorite scene is between the little old lady who runs the rooming house in a small conservative town in England and Lola, who is staying there:
- Can I just ask, are you a man?
- I am, love, yes.
- Ah, that's fine. Just so's I know how to leave the toilet seat. I'll get some biscuits.