Thursday, September 13, 2007

Of this and that

I was at the library tonight and just started thinking about having recently read a discussion of whether listening to an audio book counted as reading the book. In my opinion - absolutely. Yes, you can say that many people who listen to books don't really hear all of it as they are distracted by other things. However, the same is true of many people who read by looking at the pages - there are people out there who skim. (I know - it's heresy!) There are people who are more aural than visual, and a good narrator can really make a book come alive. I've "read" several books by listening to them, and I usually feel I got at least as much from them as if I had been turning pages. And if the audio book is narrated by Simon Prebble, I got more. I absolutely love his voice. I like the Bill Bryson audio books, too, because he reads them himself - I think they are funnier in the audio version. I admit I sometimes realize I have drifted off to other thoughts. But the biggest problem I have with audio books (especially CDs) is how to put in the bookmark.

On the way back from the library, I stopped at a light behind one other car. When the light changed, the other driver got started so slowly that the light turned red before I made it all the way across the 4 lane highway. Did I mention it was only ONE other car? And they never did go as fast as the speed limit. Which was 35 mph. Now you are probably asking yourself why I am mentioning such a mundane occurrence. Solely because the car .... was a CORVETTE! I had to ask myself if the driver really deserved such a car.

Fortune cookie of the day:
You will inherit a large sum of money.

Maybe I can use it to buy that Corvette....