Saturday, September 8, 2007

Recommendations

Today I have two recommendations - a book and a movie.

The book is Blame It On Paris, by Laura Florand. It's the story of an American in Paris, who is not enjoying the city and looking forward to moving on until she meets a cute French waiter. My favorite parts of the book are the culture clashes. It is wonderful to see them from both sides - the beginning and end are in France, but in the middle, the French come to America. I greatly enjoyed this book, and I look forward to the next one.

Laura has a wonderful blog. However be warned - if you are a chocolate lover living in the U.S., many of the posts will make you weep with frustration and plot to spend all your savings on a trip to visit chocolatiers in France until your money runs out. She very cruelly posts lots of pictures and descriptions of chocolate and ice cream that are not available on this side of the pond. And other food as well, but that doesn't affect me since I'm not a foodie. Just a chocoholic.

My other recommendation: Russ and I went to see Stardust last night. It is a terrific fantasy movie based on a Neil Gaiman book. Great people in it - Michelle Pfeiffer is a witch, Claire Danes is a star come down to earth, Peter O'Toole and Rupert Everett are a king and a prince respectively, and the most amazing is Robert de Niro as a sky pirate. So for those of you who have seen the movie AND read the book, tell me - how does the movie compare to the book?

Footnote: I must be in a French phase, because I moved on from Blame It On Paris to Hotel Riviera, by Elizabeth Adler.

Fortune cookie of the day:
Good news will be received in a letter