Sunday, September 23, 2007

Hidden treasure

On Friday I went to get my hair cut at Carly's new salon. I turned down the next street past the salon, and noticed that the parking lot was reserved for "MAHA residents". And so was the next one. So I found a place to park on the street. As I walked back up to the salon, I noticed that on the next street over, there were some interesting houses that all looked very similar. So after my haircut, instead of going straight back to the car, I turned the other way and found myself on a pedestrian street lined with small but beautiful houses, mostly brick, decorated with gingerbread. I was in the Milwaukee Avenue Historic Area, and a sign said there was a home tour on Sunday.
So today Russ and I rode the light rail to Franklin Avenue and then walked over to Milwaukee Avenue. We discovered that this area had been slated for "urban renewal" in the late 60's. The houses were built in the 1880's mainly for low-skilled immigrants. By 1970, most were dilapidated and plans called for them to be razed, but a group of activists managed to save the street. The houses that were structurally sound were jacked up so that basements with all new mechanicals could be constructed, they were gutted and rehabilitated. They also chose to make the narrow street a pedestrian walkway. Most of the seven houses open for the tour are similar on the outside, but each is unique and interesting in its own way. Some have extremely steep stairs with shallow risers and detailed woodwork, one has 4 different levels and no interior doors, one has a back staircase that can be lifted up to make room for a dinner table underneath, and one has had no major restoration at all. Most do not have garages, thus the parking lots I noticed on Friday. The tour has a blog with pictures of each house and comments by the owners.

By the way, the salon is nice. Not as funky as either of the other locations, and nowhere near as much space as the last one. But as Carly said, it is much cleaner.

Fortune cookie of the day:
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.