Tuesday, October 28, 2008

7 more days

We've gone from that beautiful fall on Saturday to snowflakes on Sunday, 40 degree highs, 28 and frosty when I walked this morning.

And now it's only one more week to the election. Yes, as my acquaintances recently said, I'm tired of this election. Tired of the leaflets stuffing my mailbox and especially all the negative ads on TV. However, an acquaintance also said "I don't know anything about [candidate] but I would never vote for him because of all the leaflets he sends me". My response - don't vote, then.

Ok, if you are a party-liner, yes, I support you voting for your party's candidate. I may not like your party's candidate, but I understand voting on party lines. But you should still know something about your party's candidate, or at least your party's philosophy. If you're going to vote, know why you are voting.

And voting for the independent candidate because you don't like the party candidates' ads - well, I don't think that message will get to the candidates, but at least it's a reason. I don't like the negative ads either, and I take all of the allegations (on both sides) with a very large grain of salt. But I think elections are extremely important, and worthy of thoughtful decision.

By the way, that response of "Don't vote"? That's what I SHOULD have said. What did I actually say? A couple of party-bashing statements. That when I get the RNC robo-calls, I pick up, set the phone down on the couch, and wait until it asks me if I want to make a call - because I figure that if I just don't pick up, the RNC doesn't have to pay for the call. That I can't imagine voting for a 72-year-old cancer patient when it would put that nut-job "mavericky" colossally inexperienced and unfit-for-office Sarah Palin a heartbeat away from the Oval Office. Both are true, but unlikely to change anyone's mind. When I get annoyed at other people's attitudes, I tend to say either too much or too little. Or both.

And by election day, it will be light during my morning walk! Yea! But dark by the time I get home from work. :-(
Short days make me sad. Good thing I don't live any farther north.