Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Big Read redux

After I posted the book list recently, it was bugging me that I couldn't find anything about it on the NEA and Big Read websites, as noted in the source. I did some more searching today. At first, I found only copies of the list on blogs with similar attributions. Finally, a comment on one of the blogs led me, not quite directly, to this article from guardian.co.uk. Apparently, the list was compiled in March, 2007 with input from "The 2,000 people who took part in the poll online at worldbookday.com [and] nominated their top 10 titles that they could not live without." So perhaps that explains why there are some anomalies, like Chronicles of Narnia plus The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

No, Karis, reading does not make you a nerd, but perhaps the need to track down such details does. Not that being a nerd is a bad thing...

In other news, I just heard from Jason, and he is back in the US. Apparently they had a great time, and only a very short bout with intestinal difficulties (less than a day). I hope to find out more this weekend, and he says there will be pictures at some point...