Saturday, July 26, 2008

Books, books and more books

My book-buying is getting seriously out of control. Earlier this year, I got a Barnes and Noble gift card and used it to buy several books, just as the whim took me, without knowing anything about them other than what I read on the jacket, the first few sentences, and a sample page from the middle. (That's my standard technique for evaluating a book. I'm usually not disappointed when I use this method. However, sometimes I am seduced by a title or concept, and then it's a coin toss whether I will actually like the book or loathe it.)

Since then, I've made a few more forays into book stores - while waiting at the airport, when browsing at the Train Station in DC, when in Denver because I HAD to visit the Tattered Cover when I had the chance.

(Digression -- I LOVE this book store. The comfy couches, all the hand-written notes recommending books... I would seriously spend a lot more money on books if I still lived in Denver. And I really like supporting independent bookstores. I've made a vow that I need to spend more time - and money - in independent bookstores. It's been just to easy to visit the local Barnes & Noble or order online. There aren't that many independents around any more, and the closest one - I think - is Magers & Quinn in Uptown, where the parking is a bit problematic. End digression.)

Then earlier this week, our washing machine was broken, so I went to visit Jason to use his machine, and we walked to Uncle Hugo's to buy books and get insulted. Seriously. The guy behind the cash register was obviously a geek (well, it is a science fiction / fantasy bookstore) with very few people skills. I tried to make conversation, but was treated to condescension and mockery. Jason says he insults everyone, so it's not just middle-aged women. It is almost a setback in my determination to patronize independents. Or at least, that independent. Though he did a great Schwarzenegger impression (I'll be back). And I got several more Robin McKinley books, which makes me very happy.

Anyway, today I went to the library to pick up a book on hold. I love to find books through LibraryThing or friend's recommendations, or just browsing in bookstores, and then reserve them at the library from my computer and wait for them to be ready for me. I've been using the library to trim down the amount I spend on books. Though lately, it doesn't seem to have worked very well.

And today the Friends of the Library were holding a book sale. $1 for hardbacks, 50 cents for paperback. And I came home with 10 books, several of which are very thick, and most of which I would not have bought if they hadn't been so inexpensive. I only spent $6.50. (You math geeks can figure out how many were hardback and how many were paperback on your own.)

But the thing is, the stack of books I own but have not yet read is now about 2 1/2 feet tall. And I may be missing a couple that are tucked away in my bedroom, or in the luggage from my last trip. Oops, I forgot the McKinley books from Uncle Hugo's, so that makes it nearly 3 feet tall, or over 30 unread books. Plus I've been re-reading all my Heyers, and have only gotten through about 10 of the 30 or so I own. Besides those I own, I still have two books out from the library, and 10 on my requested list.

Edit: I just scanned finished scanning the newly purchased books into LibraryThing, and went to put them on my shelves. There was room for only 1 or 2. I NEED MORE BOOKSHELVES!!!

Well, I just think of it as an excuse to read instead of wasting my time doing housework. After all, I've already PAID for those books. And if I DID do the housework, it would just need to be done again in no time at all. Isn't rationalization wonderful?

Here's another photo from yesterday's foray to the lake at sunset.