Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dark and twisty superheroes

Russ and I went to see Hancock today. It's gotten some pans from critics, but we really liked it. For me, the main character pretty much has to sell me on the movie, and Will Smith has never disappointed me. (Not that I've seen all of his movies.) Yes, it takes a while to get the backstory on Hancock, and you could argue that it isn't totally consistent. But the character came to life.

He's one of those "dark and twisty" superheroes, as Meredith Grey would say. Like Spiderman, or Christian Bales' Batman. Even at the beginning, when he's a drunken bum causing almost as many problems as he solves, Smith lets you see that there is loneliness and despair underneath.

I liked his reluctant progress toward rehabilitation. Jason Bateman and Charlize Theron were terrific as well. The relationship between the three of them was interesting and well developed. But Will Smith sold me on the film. Of course, I have to admit I'm a sucker for the "wounded hero".


Photo for today: a magnolia flower from the trip to Charlottesville last month.